Friday, October 14, 2005

Yizkor (Memorial) Service
Yom Kippur 2005


I'm watching darkness
embrace a glittering thumbnail
someone had trimmed and left years ago
for the cleaning lady as it rolled across the floor
into breadcrumbs, cat hair, a tissue blown by the opening door
into a tent of good-bye kisses, yet the nail,
painted glow-in-the-dark still blazing pink,
catches the light and is swept from the room
on a braided tassel,

as I follow the meditation,
but keep wandering to thoughts of my new vibrator,
a molded purple plastic water-proof super glide,
waiting for me at home tucked between my socks and panties,
which I bought the weekend before, while doing food shopping
and going for a walk with my friend and her dog,
the solemnity of making our days count,
well, I want to feel good and I need batteries.
That's how I entered the High Holydays. In a blaze.

7 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Writergrll,
You have been nominated for friendless site of the week.
Now calm down, all friendless means is that you appear to have less than 5 comments/post.
Anyways, congratulations and check out my site on Friendly Friday.

Erin said...

Congratulations on your "Friendless Friday" win!

Unknown said...

A band member chiming in! you have a unique blog!

mompoet said...

What a wonderful blaze writergrlll. Carol sent me too. I am conjuring the scene in my mind. Hope the batteries were easy to find...
mp

Anonymous said...

Greetings. Here from Carol`s site. I am so intrigued by your writing. This blog is truly a hidden gem. I`ll be back for more.

The Complimenting Commenter said...

That is a very powerful post. I like the wording a lot. Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Davy enjoyed this too. It brought a smile to his stiched face.