Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cannibal Memories
Where will I go to talk to you now that the house has closed and I no longer have the keys or can use the excuse of checking the mail to see if the honeysuckle has started to bloom or if daises are starting to grow after everything front and back yard was leveled?

Where will I go to speak your name now that there’s no place after you died in the front room of the house with glasses of soda, tissues, and a standing orchestra of pill bottles that did not cheer those itinerant trips between your room and the bathroom, your room and the kitchen?

How can I locate you in my cannibal memories and in the things I’ve carried to my next landing: candles, bells, necklaces, a file cabinet, me?

1 comment:

Laurel Johnson said...

I came to your blog to thank you for visiting mine and commenting on the Cheyenne parable. And what did I find? Your powerful poem posted 1/5/06. Do you have any poetry books or chapbooks published? Is any of your work on an online e-zine somewhere? I'd be interested in reading more of it.